Credit-Bearing Opportunities Outside of the MMSD High School Classroom
The Madison Metropolitan School District (MMSD) wants to support students in accessing additional learning experiences of interest, outside of the coursework that students engage within their high school classrooms. To that end, MMSD offers a number of additional opportunities that support experiential learning, individual research, early access to college credit, and service learning. Information about each of these programs is provided below.
We also want to be clear that the opportunities listed below represent all of the MMSD board-approved options for earning high school credit, outside of what is earned through classroom-based coursework (see MMSD Board Policy #3450). While we encourage students to take advantage of the wide variety of educational enrichment opportunities available to them, (through online programs, summer study programs, language camps, leadership development camps, etc), we also recognize that many of these programs are fee-based and thus may be inaccessible to all students and families in our school district. In keeping with our beliefs about educational equity, and in recognition of the rich learning opportunities that are accessible to all through our school-based learning environments and approved partner programs, we will not transcribe courses and credits that are earned outside of courses offered in MMSD or outside the programs listed below.*
- Early College Credit
- Experiential Learning Credit
- Independent Study
- Madison Virtual Campus (MVC)
- Part-Time Open Enrollment
- Start College Now
- Youth Apprenticeships
- What about students that followed the past process and are already engaged in their Pre Approved Educational Experience Outside of MMSD during Fall 2020 Semester 1?
- Are there opportunities for students to continue to engage in programs such as the Summer Language Schools and still earn MMSD Credit?
- If students participate in an enrichment program, will we put it on their transcript?
- A transfer student comes to us with an experience on their transcript. Do we leave it?
- If students participate in a summer program out of state and bring us a High School transcript, will we transcribe this?